Use this Moving Checklist: What to Do When Moving to a New Place! to be prepared for your move and, do not hesitate to contact us for help with any of your moving needs!
2-4 Weeks in Advance:
- Make reservations with SMS Moving. We will be happy to pack you, too!
- Contact SMS Moving for any boxes and packing supplies. Fill every box to avoid crushing.
- Clean out closets, attic, garage, basement, etc.
- Have a garage sale or donate to charity items you won’t be moving.
- Arrange for transfer of school records.
- Get plenty of change of address cards from Post Office.
- Notify magazines, charge accounts, insurance companies, clubs, and other organizations of your change of address.
1-2 Weeks in Advance:
- Make a “survival closet” of things for last cleanup (broom, dust cloth, etc.), as well as a snack, for survival.
- If you decide to pack yourself, label all boxes as you pack. Write the destination (by room) on top and sides of each box.
- Schedule disconnect dates for gas,electric,water, and telephone companies.
- Don’t disconnect your telephone until after the move.Schedule connections for your new home.
- Cancel newspapers, cable TV, security, pest control, cleaning help, lawn maintenance, and other services.
- Mail in your change of address forms.
- Clean the stove.
- Empty, defrost and thoroughly dry refrigerator and freezer.
- Get sufficient cash to tide you over.
- Set aside personal items that movers should not move (clothing, paperwork, prescriptions).
- Make sure your paperwork is completed for the new place, so that the movers can start unloading as soon as they arrive.